Shack Owners Welfare Society (SOWS)
(An affiliate of Centre for Responsible Tourism, Caritas-Goa and the Council for Social Justice and Peace)
Institute Piedade, Opposite Captain of Ports, Panjim
Tel: 9823018901, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Director of Tourism
Government of Goa
29 Aug. 12
RE: Shack Owners Welfare Society – Steps taken for responsible shack management
We write from the Shack Owners Welfare Society of Goa to present our requests and concerns to your good self.
The Shack Owners Welfare Society has recently introduced many new working measures. These go beyond just being a business enterprise.
We are now committed to the following new approaches:
1. Quality control in our services by strict compliance with the regulations stipulated by the Department of Food and drugs, and the Department of health services.
2. Responsible waste management by proper segregation and disposal of garbage. We have been trained by a waste management expert- Mr Clinton Vaz in the methods of waste management. This training will now be extended even to our workers in the shacks and a designated worker will handle waste disposal.
3. We also hope to appoint a contractor who will lift the waste and dispose it according to standards set by Clinton Vaz who we will use as our advisor and consultant.
4. Our plan is to purchase four machines which will help us to crush and dispose the wastes which are not recyclable. These will cost an amount of Rs1.5 lakh each. We will approach your department in due course for a subsidy on this.
5. We are also planning- subject to receiving a 5-year licensing for shacks- to install our shacks using environmentally friendly materials from recycled waste products.
6. We are also committed to organizing sewage arrangements that will not create harmful damage to the ecology.
Finally, our commitment to responsible shack management will assure that we show zero tolerance for:
1. Child abuse including paedophilia
2. Sex tourism
3. Drugs and any form of trafficking in our shacks.
We will also work collectively to eradicate the menace of crime in any form on our beaches. To that extent, we will cooperate with all stakeholders to guarantee a quiet and peaceful atmosphere on our coastline.
This year, our quality measures will be enhanced by “certification” measures to be provided by the Centre for Responsible Tourism of which we are an affiliate.
In line with these steps, we hope that your will use your good offices to encourage and support us with incentives and support to be responsible and quality providers of tourism services.
We look forward to your support in continued self-training, capacity building so that tourism in Goa is a positive experience.
Shack Owners Welfare Society