Full names Christian Fick van der Merwe
Nick name Stiaan
Date of birth 14 December 1951
Place of Birth Luanshya, Zambia
Nationality South African
Stiaan’s life and work history reﬂects a commitment in pursuit of empowerment and justice.
A major part of my working life was and still is in civil society organisations and networks with a particular
focus on responses to social concerns in South Africa and beyond.
I have engaged with wide ranges of persons and groups including grassroots communities, different
sectors (civil society, public sector, private sector), as well as different levels within organizations including
middle and senior management, boards as well as most senior executive managers and leaders.
Computer literacy includes MS Word, Excell, PowerPoint, Apple Mac Pages and Numbers.
Languages: Afrikaans is my mother tongue. I am ﬂuent in English (writing, speaking, reading), good
ﬂuency in Dutch (reading and speaking), relatively good comprehension of German and can hold my
own in a discussion, basic speaking in Cinynja and Cicewa (related languages in Zambia and Malawi).
My work history includes:
• Holding executive and senior management positions in different civil society organisations. This
include Vice Principal Justo Mwale Theological College (Lusaka, Zambia), Director of National Electoral
Observers Network (30 000 observers during the 1994 elections in South Africa, founding CEO of
Transparency South Africa, founding CEO Ecumenical Service for Socio-Economic Transformation
(ESSET), Executive Director Southern Africa Faith Communities Environmental Institute.
• Consultancy work in South Africa and outside South Africa since 2002. This work included:
organisational evaluation, managing consultancy projects, strategy development and strategic
management, organisational development, project management, training in a variety of areas, acting as
resource person at meetings and conferences. Clients include civil society organisations, public sector
and private sector clients.
• Coaching, which includes executive coaching, management coaching, team coaching as well as
personal life coaching. Clients included executive and senior leadership in a variety of organisations
including government (Department of Science and Technology) ,civil society (A variety of coaching
interventions in different civil society organisations) and private sector (mainly in ﬁnancial sector). A
recent interest has been coaching in the Small and Medium-sized Enterprise (SMe) sector of the
• Lecturing in different institutions of tertiary education including Master level courses in Management at
University of the Witwatersrand and the University of Pretoria and in Theology at the University of the
Western Cape and 12 years lecturing and management position at Justo Mwale Theological College in Lusaka, Zambia.)
Public speaking. As resource person I have extensive experience to make presentations in a wide
variety of contexts, communities and countries. This also include media interviews of print, radio and
• Marketing and sales. Marketing and selling a loyalty program for SMEs towards greater sustainability
of the sector.
• D.Th: Doctoral degree in Theology from the University of the Western Cape.
• M.M.: Masters degree in Management from the University of the Witwatersrand. The degree focussed
speciﬁcally on management in the post-apartheid public sector and civil society organisations.
• M.A.: Masters in Philosophy from the University of Stellenbosch.
• B.A. Hons: Honours degree in Philosophy from the University of Stellenbosch.
• B.Th: Bachelor degree in Theology from the University of Stellenbosch.
• B.A: Bachelor degree in Humanities from the University of Stellenbosch.
• Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Coach training from MetaSkills Institute and Quantum Leap