Don’t Let Mahmoud Sarsak Die – Act Now!*
02 June 2012
On the 76th day of his Hunger Strike, Mahmoud Sarsak’s life is in immediate danger. Yet the Israeli racist regime is building on our fatigue after the latest mass Hunger Strike and the successful solidarity campaign and is deliberately trying to drive Mahmoud to his death.
The mass hunger strike achieved a promise to release most Palestinian prisoners that are held without charge under administrative detention and to tighten the criteria for such detention. But Mahmoud Sarsak is held under another clause, “Illegal Enemy Combatant”, without charge and without trial and with even less legal supervision.
After almost three years in detention all that we know about Mahmoud Sarsak from Rafah, in the Gaza strip, is that he was a football player for the Palestinian National Team. He was not caught in battle or hiding. On July 22, 2009, he arrived at the Erez checkpoint on his way to the West Bank after getting an Israeli permission to join the team in a match in Balata. Upon his arrival he was arrested, interrogated for 30 days and since then he is held without charge or trial.
It is not so hard for Israel to charge Palestinians and sentence them to long periods in prison for the flimsiest of charges. In fact, in Israel’s military courts the rights of Palestinian defendants are not protected in any way. Israeli civilian courts “believe” any lie that is told by the Shabak and tend to give Palestinians that are accused of breaching”state security” even harsher verdicts than their military counterparts. In fact, when somebody gets 2-4 years of imprisonment all the people around him will say: “You see, we knew all along that they have nothing against him!”
There is a lot that you can do about this:
- You can organize a protest vigil.
- You can publish or share this with friends on Facebook or other media.
- You can demand local, national or international football or sport bodies to boycott Israeli sports as long as Israel oppresses the Palestinians and especially prevents them from freely practicing sports.
- You can organize BDS activities and dedicate them to the cause of Mahmoud Sarsak and all Palestinian Prisoners.
- You write letters, fax or petition to ask for Mahmoud’s immediate release at the following contact addresses:
Prime Minister’s Office
3 Kaplan St.
Ministry of Justice
29 Salah A-din St.
If enough of us will do just some and even of the above, we can save Mahmoud’s life. Because Israel has nothing real against him. It can go on with this ruthless violation of Human Rights only as long as the world keeps silent.
For additional details on Mahmoud Sarsak’s case see:
- An appeal from Mahmoud’s family-
- Electronic intifada: Interview with Mahmoud’s father in the BBC.http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/bbcs-world-football-interviews-father-gravely-ill-hunger-striking-palestinian
To view a documentary about prisoners and prison conditions for Palestinian prisoners see:http://www.pchrgaza.org/portal/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8335:palestinians-behind-bars-prisoners-without-human-rights&catid=144:new-reports